Volunteer With Us
We believe that we are one of the most laid back, fun & creative radio stations to work for in the area at the moment!! If you don’t believe us? Check out what our team have to say at the bottom of this page;
Since our launch in Summer 2019, Shire Sounds is one of the leading, digital community radio stations in North Northamptonshire, averaging 800+ unique listeners a week. (As of Feb 2021). We currently boast a team of 20 ranging from On Air specialist presenters to technical and admin support team. In 2020 – due to high demand in the Wellingborough & East Northamptonshire areas – we expanded our service in line with the merger of the local councils, to create The Sound of North Northamptonshire! Our biggest achievements are gaining credibility from Kettering Borough Council and the local MPs, moving into our own purpose built studios & surviving the majority of the Coronavirus pandemic. Our favourite parts of the year are hosting incredible events across North Northamptonshire, most notable the Christmas Light Switch On in Kettering.
We have the following vacancies available;
Local Music Champion Presenter
Approx. Volunteer Hours per Week: 5
Closing Date: Friday 17th November 2023
Brief description of role: As a Local Music presenter at Shire Sounds Radio, you will act as the main point of contact for our local artists and musicians across North Northamptonshire. Through the help of our previous Local Music hosts, we’ve already built up a reputation in the area and have some big artists on board including Sharmaine, Mae Stephens and The Touch. However, your passion for local music will help form the driving force Shire Sounds needs for our local commitments. You will present a three hour show per week from our purpose built studios on the outskirts of Kettering Town Centre. Training will be provided to any suitable candidates. Previous experience is preferred, but not needed.
Our purpose built studios have dedicated space for artists to come in and perform live on the weekly Local Music show, plus you will be able to organise some of the biggest local events and festivals alongside our partners.
Daytime Radio Presenter
Approx. Volunteer Hours per Week: 12 to 16
Closing Date: Friday 17th November 2023
Brief description of role: Helping form part of our Home of The Hits relaunch in November 2023 (and ahead of our launch on DAB in Spring/Summer 2024) we are looking to take on 1 or more volunteer Daytime Radio Presenters to help build our delivery of local content hours across North Northamptonshire. 9/10 Businesses play radio for their staff & customers where applicable, you would play a vital role in trainsitioning a majority of North Northants from a commercial rival to Shire Sounds Radio. This is something new that we are launching so you would have a large input on how these shows will work.
We want people who are passionate about local causes, local businesses and cucially local people. Your primary goal as a presenter on Shire Sounds Radio will be to champion Kettering, Corby, Wellingborough and the rest of North Northamptonshire. More information about this role can be found below. You’ll present a 2 or 3 hour show per day, Monday to Friday from our purpose built studios on the outskirts of Kettering Town Centre. Training will be provided to any suitable candidate. Previous experience is preferred, but not needed.
Radio Presenter (Over 18)
Approx. Volunteer Hours per Week: 4.5
Closing Date: Always open
Brief description of role: As a presenter at Shire Sounds Radio you will act as the voice of the community, helping us to Inform, Educate & Entertain North Northamptonshire. You will produce and present a minimum of 1x 2 or 3 hour show per week from our purpose built studios on the outskirts of Kettering Town Centre. Training will be provided to any suitable candidate. Previous experience is preferred, but not needed.
We want people who are passionate about local causes, local businesses and cucially local people. Your primary goal as a presenter on Shire Sounds will be to champion Kettering, Corby, Wellingborough and the rest of North Northamptonshire. More information about this role can be found below.
Lead Administration Assistant (Management Position)
Approx. Volunteer Hours per Week: 3
Closing Date: Tuesday 31st October 2023
Brief description of role: You will play a vital role in ensuring that the backend of Shire Sounds Radio is organised to a high standard, ensuring that all signage & documentation is up to date, answering emails & telephone calls into our central email addresses, and passing on communications to the relevant team members. You will also take responsibility for the Administration & Station Support team.
Equipment can be provided for you to complete this role from home and from within the office.
To apply for any of the positions above, please send an email briefly explaining a bit about yourself & why you think you’d be a perfect suit for the role to email@example.com
During your time at Shire Sounds Radio, we will give you;
- Industry standard equipment to work on
- The skills and training required to complete your work
- A fun, relaxed and laid back approach to the job
- Access to prep and produce elements from home with our Remote Access Systems
- Regular team and departmental meetings, which provide an opportunity to socialise with your colleagues and idea share
- Quarterly Team Socials & Discounted access to food, drink and other services from partners we work with across North Northants
- Access to a social group chat, allowing friendships to form between team members outside of the station
- The ability to use the workroom to complete non-radio related work such as a full time job or school revision
- Ability to attend events and meet celebrities at the Christmas Light Switchon events
Responsibilities you will hold as a team player,
- Being the main point of contact for listeners, engaging with them and representing the station both in public and on air, making you the face of North northamptonshire’s community radio station
- Undergoing any training required & engaging in voluntary training sessions ran by internal or external team members.
- Meeting with guests for any upcoming radio shows beforehand to discuss the outline of the interview, as well as sufficiently preparing for any interviews.
- Ensuring the smooth operation and running of your area of the station.
- Having competence and confidence with the radio station’s broadcast & IT Systems, and asking for help when needed.
- Ensuring that all shows consist of approximately 80% music and 20% speech.
- Reading from a script, autocue or pre-provided notes with confidence.
- Being fully aware of the stations key commitments and complying with these always.
- Having a basic understanding of the Ofcom broadcasting code, and the media law.
- Making every effort possible to attend monthly team meetings.
- Making every effort possible to attend events and to support the station externally
Ideally, you will have these qualities, (But we can help you gain these)
- Be a team player
- A strong personality
- Good communication and public speaking skills
- Research and interviewing skills
- A basic understanding of computer software & how audio hardware works
- The ability to work under pressure and think on your feet
- The ability to follow instructions from management team
- The ability to solve problems and to ask for help when required
If you are looking to join our journalism or social media team, you will also need/be taught to,
- Learn and maintain the house writing style
- Excellent public communication skills
- Good knowledge of the Microsoft Office products
- Be able to audit and proof read yours and other team members work
- Have a basic understanding of social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok)
- Play a vital role in the Shire Sounds Team
Shire Sounds Radio Is an established community radio station serving North Northamptonshire, with a commitment to the youth of the community and North Northants Council to provide opportunity for the young persons of Kettering and the surrounding areas. If you would like to know more about any of the above positions than please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.