Welcome to our volunteer recruitment homepage for Shire Sounds Radio
We believe that we are one of the most laid back, fun & creative radio stations to work for in the area at the moment!! If you don’t believe us? Check out what our team have to say at the bottom of this page;
Please note: Due to COVID-19 restrictions, all ‘Informal Interviews’ may take place over Microsoft Teams. If you are invited in, we then ask that you do not attend the station if you are showing any symptoms of Coronavirus.
Since our launch in Summer 2019, Shire Sounds is one of the leading, digital community radio stations in North Northamptonshire, averaging 800+ unique listeners a week. (As of Feb 2021). We currently boast a team of 20 ranging from On Air specialist presenters to technical and admin support team. In 2020 – due to high demand in the Wellingborough & East Northamptonshire areas – we expanded our service in line with the merger of the local councils, to create The Sound of North Northamptonshire! Our biggest achievements are gaining credibility from Kettering Borough Council and the local MPs, moving into our own purpose built studios & surviving the majority of the Coronavirus pandemic. Our favourite parts of the year are hosting incredible events across North Northamptonshire, most notable the Christmas Light Switch On in Kettering.
If your still stuck for reasons why you should join our team, just check our what our team players have said below!
We average the weekly commitment time to 3.5 to 4 hours per week depending on the time slot you choose, this also includes personal time to prep & schedule your show, as well as book interviews and monthly team meetings. You may also be asked to cover other shows across the station from time to time.
What We Give You,
- Industry standard equipment to work on
- The skills and training required to complete your work
- A fun, relaxed and laid back approach to the job
- Access to prep and produce elements from home with our Remote Access Systems
- Regular team and departmental meetings, which provide an opportunity to socialise with your colleagues and idea share
- Quarterly Team Socials & Discounted access to food, drink and other services from partners we work with across North Northants
- The ability to use the workroom to complete non-radio related work such as a full time job or school revision
- Ability to attend events and meet celebrities at the Christmas Light Switchon events
Responsibilities You Will Hold As A Presenter:
- Researching features that will come up during the show
- Preparing for your show in advance, which will include (but will not be limited to) planning the direction of your show and writing features/scripts where necessary
- Being the main point of contact for listeners, engaging with them and representing the station both in public and on air, making you the face of Kettering’s community radio station
- Undergoing any training required & engaging in voluntary training sessions ran by internal or external team members.
- Meeting with guests for any upcoming radio shows beforehand to discuss the outline of the interview, as well as sufficiently preparing for any interviews.
- Ensuring the smooth operation and running of your show.
- Having competence and confidence with the radio station’s broadcast & IT Systems, and asking for help when needed.
- Selecting a playlist suitable to the station’s main branding output. This should consist of a mix of 80s to current chart hits, unless agreed otherwise with the station manager (such as for specialist music shows).
- Ensuring that all shows consist of approximately 80% music and 20% speech.
- Reading from a script, autocue or pre-provided notes with confidence.
- Being fully aware of the stations key commitments and complying with these always.
- Having an understanding of the Ofcom broadcasting code, and the media law.
- Making every effort possible to attend monthly team meetings & sixth-monthly one to one sessions with a member of the management team.
- Making every effort possible to attend events and to support the station externally
Ideally, you will have these qualities: (But we can help you gain these)
- A strong on-air personality
- Good communication and public speaking skills
- Research and interviewing skills
- The ability to work under pressure and think on your feet
- The ability to follow instructions from management team
- The ability to solve problems and to ask for help when required
If you are looking to join our journalism team, you will also need/be taught to,
- Learn and maintain the house writing style
- Excellent public communication skills
- Good knowledge of the Microsoft Office products
- Be able to audit and proof read yours and other team members work
- Have a basic understanding of social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok)
- Play a vital role in the Shire Sounds Team
Shire Sounds Community Radio CIC Is an established community radio station serving North Northamptonshire, with a commitment to the youth of the community and North Northants Council to provide opportunity for the young persons of Kettering and the surrounding areas. If you would like to know more about any of the above positions then please email email@example.com for further details.
“Since working for Shire Sounds I have got my love back for radio presenting which I had lost. The team are great and we all have a great laugh together. If you’re thinking of joining us then you should. It changed everything for me and it could for you too!”
– Katie Donnelly – Presenter
“Shire Sounds is like one big family!! Our regular staff social events and social team chats keep it fun and provide a support network for the team with both personal and work related issues / questions. We provide adequate training to all new team members, and pride ourselves on being not just a radio station, but a support hub for many future careers”
– Charlie Stone – Station Manager
“For me, this is my first ever experience in a radio environment. The station is one of the most fun places to work, the team and supporters surrounding the station have such great ‘banter’ which encompasses into one superbly hardworking and enjoyable places to work. Highly recommended!!”
– Lily Molloy – Presenter
“I joined the Shire Sounds team after a long conversation with Charlie as I wanted to give my experience, knowledge and time to help them grow the radio station for Kettering and the surrounding community. I admire the passion that the team bring to the radio and it’s been great helping the station grow to become the leading radio station in Kettering. After a couple of months, I HAD to get behind the sound desk and present a show.”
– Simon Cox – Business Support Assistant & Presenter