Desborough Town 1-2 March Town United: Late Foy strike edges Hares past resilient Ar Tarn


Desborough Town returned to the SG Pathway Academy Stadium in desperate need of three points following a unfortunate last-gasp defeat at local rivals Wellingborough Town on Boxing Day.
But in order to improve on their recent form, they would need to overcome a 3rd-placed March
Town United side who were unbeaten in eight games in all competitions.




Adam Honour
Brady Stratford
Oliver Anderson
Liam Boath
Aaron Davies
Kai Magee
Rico Duggan
Dom Ledgeway
Harry Moors
David Peplinski
Owen Brooks


Jonah Gill
Adam Brumby
Dan Bucciero
Jack Saunders
Craig Gillies
Sam Green
Declan Rogers
Jay Whyatt
Joseph Rider
Magic Smalls
Ben Seymour-Shove


A relatively competitive start from both sides at the SG Pathway Academy Stadium saw the first chance of the game fall the way of the visitors, with Ben Seymour-Shove’s close-range effort being blocked by Kai Magee.

It would be Seymour-Shove who would open the scoring, however, as he was released on goal by a terrific through ball from Dan Bucciero, and the March Town winger made no mistake as he slotted the ball calmly past an onrushing Adam Honour. Joseph Rider could have also extended his side’s lead just four minutes later; only for Honour to comfortably collect the forward’s effort.

Ben Seymour-Shove looked very impressive in the opening stages, and almost had a second goal to his name, but his effort crashed back off the bar from close-range; leaving Adam Honour to collect the ball at the second time of asking. This seemed to spur the home side on, as Rico Duggan found space on the edge of the March Town box before cutting inside and firing just over the bar.

With 25 minutes gone, though, Ar Tarn did find what was a deserved equaliser for their efforts. A brilliant ball over the top from Duggan found Kettering loanee Harry Moors in the box, and the young striker lashed the ball into the top corner from 12 yards out to level matters for Neil Healey’s side.

David Peplinski could have given Desborough Town the lead just minutes later, but his long-range shot was saved comfortably by Jonah Gill in the March Town United goal. Up the other end with what proved the final big chance of the first goal, Joseph Rider fired from close-range towards goal, but Aaron Davies got back well to block the March striker’s shot.




While the start to the first start was competitive between both sides, the second half began with Desborough Town dominating the early proceedings. Rico Duggan had looked impressive all game, and was unlucky not to be on the scoresheet himself, with his free kick floating just over the bar; much to the despair of head coach Neil Healey.

Owen Brooks could also consider himself unlucky not to have scored, as his wonderful effort bent just wide of the far post just minutes after. The Desborough winger also saw a low strike kept out well by United goalkeeper Jonah Gill.

However, Ar Tarn hearts were broken just under 20 minutes from time when Ash Taylor and Seb Hayes’ promotion chasers scored what proved to be the winner. A wonderful run down the left hand side from Ben Seymour-Shove saw Joseph Rider latch onto the box and fire a low effort towards goal. Adam Honour did save that effort, but the ball fell to the feet of substitute Matty Foy, who smashed the ball home on the rebound to put the visitors back in front.

While Desborough Town’s resilience and character was on show once again for all to see at the SG Pathway Academy Stadium, they were unlucky not to rescue a point from this in the 94th minute, as substitute Faruq Usman’s strike from close-range was blocked at the last moment by United captain Craig Gillies.

However, Neil Healey’s men were left once again to rue missed opportunites, as promotion chasing March Town United left Ar Tarn looking over their shoulders as they continue their battle to avoid the drop. They have the chance to put things right with another home clash next Saturday, where Easington Sports are the visitors to the SG Pathway Academy Stadium – kick off is at 3pm.


NPTNFootball Man of the Match: Craig Gillies (March Town United)