Successful Friday night of boxing hosted by Corby Olympic Boxing Club

On Friday night Shire Sounds radio made the short trip to Corby and joined our friends at Corby Olympic Boxing Club for their house show, which showcased boxing in its finest form. A jam-packed card of 13 fights. In attendance for this event were former World Champion Paul Silky Jones and Current MMA star Jordan Vucenic.

The opening bout saw Corey Allen (Peterborough Police) take on Jaya Amjad Gibbs (Acocks Green) in a skills bout. This bout was 3 rounder, where both fighters gave their all. In the opening exchanges of the first round, both boxers came out all guns blazing. As the fight went through to the 3 and final round, both boxers showed fantastic boxing ability and great stamina to keep the pace until the bell. 

The second Bout of the night saw Little Oakley Boxer Jordan McTier take on Acocks Green boxer Noah Wood. From the opening bell both fighters came out swinging, both sustaining shots but nevertheless came forward to both continue a barrage of punches. In the second round, the bout was called to a holt with a stoppage after McTier sustained injury after a solid jab to the nose. Noah Wood was declared the winner. 

Fight Number three of the evening saw Lennon Miller from Corby ABC take on Jacob Hussain from Rainham Boxing Club. Both boxers took the first round to control the ring and find advantages but to no joy. Round two saw Hussain hit miller with a couple of powerful head shots which didn’t go unnoticed. In round 3 Hussain came out the aggressor, changing the level often finding his target with success. With the bout going the distance Hussain was named the winner. 

The next fight of the night saw Rushden & Higham`s Peter Frazer takes on Norwich based George Howard. With Howard getting the better of Frazer in the opening exchanges, this set the tone for the rest of the fight. In round two Howard hit Frazer with a solid body shot, that got a standing 8 count. In round three Howard continued to show his skills by hitting Frazer with more solid shots that led to another count and finally a stoppage, with Howard declared the winner. 

Fight number five of the evening was the fight of the night! Corby Olympics very own Ksenia Gnennaja took on Andreea Dofinescu of DMS Boxing Club, in what turned out to be a very one-sided affair. Ksenia took the fight to her opponent and dominated from the outset. After finding her target on numerous occasions the fight was stopped in the very first round. 

The next fight of the night another Corby Olympic boxer Josh Perry took on Norwich boxer Jack Bradfield. With both fighters digging deep in a hard-fought contest. Bradfield was declared the winner after the bout went the full 3 rounds.  

Fight seven on the cards was Callum Walker of Rushden & Higham against William Green of Wellingborough, which was a debut fight for both boxers. In round one Walker and Green took their time to feel each other out but in the second and third rounds both boxers picked up the pace and boxed their way to a scrappy finish. The judges gave the fight to Green on a split decision. 

In the eighth fight of the night Silviu Cracium of Corby Olympic took on Harry Marston of the Weedon Boxing Club. Cracium made his club proud as he came out the aggressor and showed great technique and power when landing his shots. In the second round Silviu produced a hook to Marston that gave him his first standing eight count. After a body shot jab combo Marston received another standing eight count and Cracium received the win. 

The next bout saw Another Corby Olympic boxer Gabriel Stefan take on Leicester Railway Boxing Clubs Mukhtar Mohammed. From the opening bell Mohammed showed his dominance with a standing eight count on Stefan, followed by a uppercut that found its mark. The second round continued in the same vain as the first with another standing eight count for Stefan leading to Mukhtar Mohammed declared the winner. 

After the intermission we saw current East Midlands champion Monty Mcphee make his first defense of his title against Boston Town Boxing Clubs Andrej Kravcuk. Mcphee got the better of the challenger in the first round, but Kravcuk showed great heart to recover from a standing eight count in the last round to be declared the new East Midlands champion. 

Next up we saw Louis Boot of Rushden & Higham take on Barnaby Raguain of St Ives Boxing Club. Both competitors showed great ability as they looked to figure each other out. As the fight gathered momentum and some hard shots threw, Boot was declared the winner. 

In the penultimate bout of the evening Ewan Ferguson of Little Oakley took on Ben Marlow of Leicester Railway Club. Ferguson used his experience to take control of the fight and used his ring awareness to come out of the bout as the winner. 

In the final bout of the night, Corby Olympics Evan Pritchard took on Alfie Pearce of the Peterborough Police. With high expectations Pritchard did not fail to deliver, although the fight went all three rounds Pritchard was declared the winner on a unanimous decision. 


Photo Credit: Graham Norris